Optimal Water Remediation
- Supports water’s self-cleaning capacity
- Controls algae growth and development
- Activates beneficial aquatic microorganisms
- Re-establish ecological balance in water
- Refurbishes groundwater resources
Provides biological stimulation for:
- surface water
Areas of Application
- Small lakes
- Farm ponds
- Garden ponds, koi ponds
- Artificial ponds and fountains
- Drinking water storage reservoirs
- Groundwater wells, cisterns
May also be used on:
- Wastewater treatment lagoons
- Industrial process water
- Settling ponds
- improves water quality and clarity
- stabilizes aquatic ecological equilibrium
- eliminates aquatic putrefaction bacteria
- controls algae growth to a natural level
- mineralizes bottom sludge and sediment
- lowers total phosphate concentration in the water
- reduces carbon production and phytoplankton in water body
- mitigates production of harmful gases (e.g. ammonia and nitric oxide)
- improves conditions for aquatic flora and fauna
- enhances aquatic feature’s aesthetics
- improves quality and taste of drinking water
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- 100% natural ingredients and process
- Treats the causes, not the symptoms, of an imbalanced aquatic environment
- Provides customized approach tailored to specific applications
- Has been proven effective through over 25 years of use
- Moderate application cost
- Environmentally friendly
A NATURAL APPROACH TO AQUATIC REBALANCING
Often treatment of water bodies is directed at eradicating a symptomatic condition (e.g. eliminate unsightly algae). Frequently, this is by chemical means and no attempt is made to address the underlying cause of the eutrophic condition which prompted the problem situation to develop in the first place. Penergetic w works to naturally re-establish the ecological equilibrium in an aquatic environment in order to return it to a healthy state, so that any previous detrimental conditions are overcome and avoided in the future.
In some cases it has taken a pond or lake years to reach the “tipping over” point – meaning the point where eutrophication sets in and it is no longer able to support itself in a natural balance. Each situation is unique. In some cases, it will also take time for the water body to re-establish itself – realistic expectations are warranted.
The following parameters can currently be treated successfully with the Penergetic technology:
- Visible depth
- Algae contamination
Factors that may potentially influence the effectiveness of penergetic w
- Water body already in a highly advanced stage of eutrophication
- Sludge (including organic matter on bottom) exceeds 50% of total volume of water body
- Uncontrolled exposure to nutrients from an external source (e.g. runoff from fertilizer application, animal wastes or other sources)
- The complete absence of aquatic plants in the littoral shore zone (upper 6 – 7 feet) of the water body
- If treatment is initiated during summer period of stagnation after water body circulation has been stratified
[based on surface area of water body to be treated]
Standard Rate: > 1/2 acre (22,000 sq. ft. or 2,000 m2 ): 1.0 g / m2
For Water Bodies > 0.5 acre (2,000 m2):
Application Rate (based on surface area)
|< 10 m2 (110 sq. ft.)||5.0 g / m2|
|10 to 100 m2 (110 to 1,100 sq. ft.)||3.0 g / m2|
|100 to 1,000 m2 (1,100 to 11,000 sq. ft.)||2.0 g / m2|
|1,000 to 2,000 m2 (11,000 to 22,000 sq. ft.)||1.5 g / m2|
|> 2,000 m2 (> 22,000 sq. ft.)||1.0 g / m2|
|[Note: 1.0 acre = 43,560 sq. ft.]|
Initial (shock) treatment
Depending on the age and condition of pond/dugout when penergetic w treatment is initiated it may be advantageous to apply the product at higher than the prescribed rate in order to get the remediation process off to a faster start.
Same as initial application unless adjusted based on discussions with Penergetic dealer.
Volume Based Application Measurement
In cases where the average depth of the water body is > 2.0 meters and there is little or no vegetation in the littoral (shore) zone, an application rate based on the volume (USG) may be more suitable to use.
Frequency of use
Following the initial application, subsequent applications should be every 3 to 4 weeks until the water body stabilizes.
- following a heavy rain, top up dosage by 1.0 g per m2
- in hot weather reduce time between applications.
- self-cleaning process can be accelerated by pouring a bucket of water and sediment from a healthy pond (or watercourse) into the water to be treated.
There are three different types of Penergetic w products – shown above (and carrier material):
- Penergetic w – surface water (quartz meal)
- Penergetic w – mud reduction (quartz meal)
- Penergetic w – ground water (calcium carbonate)
All three forms of Penergetic w come in a (10 kg) bag (in a box)
Penergetic w for surface water/stabilization
- Re-establishes oxygenation and pond microorganism activity
- Main agent for promoting water clarity and control of algae (and duckweed)
- (generally) used during vegetation phase at water temperature > 12○ C
- best to start application in late Spring / early Summer, when full water layer circulation/mixing evident
Penergetic w for waste water/mud reduction
- promotes natural decomposition of organic material (e.g. bottom sludge and/or organic debris)
- provides aquatic environ with self-cleaning capabilities
- (generally) used during vegetation phase when water temperature is <12º C
- best applied in early Spring or in the Autumn – once full water layer circulation/mixing is re-established
- [Optional] may also be applied during the Winter months (including through the ice)
Penergetic w for groundwater
- for control of water borne germs and bacteria
- can be applied at any time
- may be used in conjunction with AquaKat for water vitalization
POND / DUGOUT REMEDIATION
Surface Water Treatment
Treatment should be carried out according to the time of year and the specific problem to be addressed. The initial dose should be applied as specified above. Depending on the state of water body when treatment initiated, in some cases a higher application rate may be recommended to achieve results more quickly. To confirm suitable dosage and application schedule consult with your Penergetic dealer.
Commencing in mid-Autumn (October to beginning of November – depending on location) the water body should be treated with penergetic w (for mud reduction).** Sludge and accumulated organic matter in natural bodies of water is broken down naturally at the lower temperatures which prevail in cooler time of the year (including over the winter). Treatment (every four weeks) with penergetic w (for mud reduction), the accumulated biomass will be processed more quickly and the sludge broken down. Then in the late Spring, begin treatment with penergetic w (for surface water).
** Warning: Caution should be exercised in using penergetic w (for mud reduction) in water containing large concentrations of fish. If fish are raised for food and are to be harvested, they should be removed before using penergetic w (for mud reduction). However, if at the owner’s discretion it is decided to use penergetic w (for mud reduction) – to reduce organic matter accumulation on the bottom – when fish are present in the water body, begin by using penergetic w (mud reduction) at a lower application rate (say 50% recommended rate). A higher dosage may lead to an oxygen deficiency for the fish as a result of the stimulated sludge breakdown process, especially if a hot spell occurs. [Alternatively, Penergetic w (for surface water) is safe, even beneficial, for fish as it acts as a catalyst increasing the water’s oxygen supply.]
Additional Support for Water Remediation (for Larger Bodies of Water)
For larger bodies of water – with a surface area greater than 1.0 ha (2.5 acres) the aquatic regenerative effects of penergetic w may be supplemented by using a submersible XLarge or XXLarge AquaKat® specifically designed for water remediation. In some cases, a Penergetic Water Module (or water unit) – containing two XXL AquaKats in it – may be used instead. This is a more powerful form of treatment than the single XXL AquaKat. Should an XXLarge AquaKat® or water unit be used the calculated quantity of penergetic w powder(s) may be reduced – by up to 50% (or in some cases by more).
Alternatively, where a tributary or water source flows into the lake or large pond being treated, a specially designed Penergetic Water Filter may be placed in the channel of the incoming water flow (tributary) as a means of remediating the inflowing water closer to the potential source of contamination (or quality degradation).
Furthermore, in specialized situations – where there is a particular aquatic condition needing to be addressed – Penergetic, in some cases, can custom-design an application to re-balance the water body’s ecology. For more details on the applicability of the XXLarge AquaKat, water module and other customized approaches to water remediation contact Penergetic Solutions directly.
POND TREATMENT WITH PENERGETIC W – EXAMPLES
Lake Bad Balyersoien, Bavaria, Germany
Size: 20 ha (50 acres), part in a nature reserve
Nature of Problem: Excessive plant growth in the lake, unaesthetic appearance & hazardous for swimmers.
History of past attempts at eradication: A boat mounted mower was used to cut the aquatic plant/weeds in the lake and the Village contracted to have a swimming channel dredged through the weed growth in the lake. Very expensive and the problem always returned.
Penergetic Solution: Two (2) AquaKat water modules and 3 160 kg. of penergetic w per year.
Result: Lake regained its natural ecological balance. Plant growth in the lake is now controlled naturally. The Village and swimmers are both happy. The focus has now shifted to treating upland sources of nutrient loading with other penergetic products.
See additional examples in INFORMATION DOWNLOADS below.
OTHER USES FOR PENERGETIC W
Water wells, springs, cisterns and drinking water reservoirs can often lack a self cleaning ability to biologically-convert various potentially-contaminating substances; in which case they can be characterized by:
- Poor water quality
- Nutrient contamination (i.e. ammonium, nitrite, nitrate)
- Presence of iron or manganese
- Contaminated with harmful bacteria
- Lack vitality
Penergetic w (for groundwater):
- vitalizes groundwater
- supports the natural decomposition and self-cleaning capacities in the groundwater
- biologically stabilizes the water supply
- activates the natural life processes in the water
- assists in metabolizing various nutrients and contaminants in the water
- addresses issues related for nitrogen build-up
** For maximum effectiveness where water is to be used for domestic water supply, for livestock or other uses requiring a high quality of water, penergetic w (for groundwater) should be used in conjunction with an AquaKat®.
Method and Rate of Application: depended on the nature and type of water source, volume of usage and initial versus subsequent rates of application. Contact your Penergetic dealer for details.
Sewage lagoon and sewage treatment facilities can often, due to the presence of an anaerobic condition in the system and an inability of the wastewater to establish its own self cleaning capacity can, have problems associated with: odors, excessively high BOD and COD values, low microbial activity, poor treatment efficiency, high sewage processing costs, sedimentation build-up, poor aesthetic appearance and standard level of quality of effluent for submission into receiving waters.
Penergetic w (for waste water):
- supports the natural decomposition and self-cleaning capacity in sewage
- stimulates an aerobic process and activation of microorganisms
- reduces the quantity of organic matter and nutrients
- moderates and controls BOD and COD levels
- stabilizes the system’s microbiology
- curtails odor occurrences
- creates a more homogenous wastewater
** In addition to municipal (local government) systems, the penergetic approach to wastewater treatment can also be used at commercial or industrial settings where there is a lagoon or wastewater stream requiring treatment.
** Can also be used in toilet systems (e.g. park settings, rest areas, recreational property) to reduce odor and activate decomposition process.
Method and Rate of Application: Contact your Penergetic dealer for details.
For more information on penergetic p the following downloads are available:
Penergetic w (general) brochure
Penergetic w Pictographic
Instructions for using Penergetic w
An Introduction to Water Remediation
Trout Pond Rehabilitation
Farm Pond 1
Small Pond and Penergetic w
* Complete and submit the Pond Calculator and submit by email or fax and receive a proposal (and cost estimate) related to using penergetic w for water body remediation.