* Penergetic k ULTRA for poultry barns and Penergetic k for compost are OMRI-listed, therefore suitable for organic, transitional and conventional methods of agriculture.
- Activates accelerated composting by an aerobic process
- Suitable for all manner of compostable materials (e.g. solid manure, plant matter, municipal waste stream)
- Reduces insect pest problems and odors associated with composting
- Limits loss of nutrients (e.g. nitrogen) during composting process
- Contributes to elimination of weed seeds and pathogenic organisms
- Produces more homogeneously consistent nutrient rich humus
- Assists in regulating temperature during composting
- Helps propagate healthy soil fungi and reduces detrimental fungi
- Proven effective at decomposing dead animals
- By promoting a more complete breakdown of manure, helps prevent nutrient overload on fields
- Proven and cost effective approach to composting
Barns and Stables
- Controls odor in poultry barns and livestock housing
- Reduces flies and other insects in poultry barns and livestock stalls
- Converts problematic ammonia in livestock manure/urine to beneficial ammonium
- Supports conversion of hydrogen sulfide (from animal wastes) to plant available sulfur
- Supports control of pathogens
- Control dust and reduces wetness in bedding
- In poultry barns, helps with mitigation of darkling beetles
- Overcomes problems associated with lime (used in back of stalls) as not dusty and won’t fill grooves in flooring
- Initiates compost activation process in soiled poultry litter / livestock bedding
Ideally, apply penergetic k evenly onto the compost layers. In the case of a static (stationary) pile that is not to be turned, poke several holes into the pile or windrow and pour Penergetic k into the pile via these holes.
Penergetic k can also be applied (dry or wet) while turning the compost piles or windrows.
Although Penergetic k will work well even if the pile is not turned, for maximum effectiveness follow good composting practices, including: monitoring temperature; regularly turning the pile or windrows; and, covering with breathable fleece to regulate moisture flow (in and out) and prevent weed seeds from infesting the compost pile.
In Barns and Stables
In poultry barns:
Spray penergetic k ULTRA (for poultry barns) at rate of:
3 grams per m2 (or 10 oz. per 1,000 sq. ft.) on floor (once every 6 – 12 months) and
4 grams per m2 (or 13 oz. per 1,000 sq. ft.) on litter/bedding per cycle (prior to birds being moved into barn).
Alternatively, penergetic k can be applied dry and/or mixed with litter prior to litter being spread in the barn.
In cases where darkling beetles control is a consideration be sure to apply in vicinity of drinkers and feed stations and along building perimeter.
In dairy barns (and livestock pack barns)
Use penergetic k for compost (extra fine)
- In back of stalls: 5 grams per stall/week (or 1 gram per day per stall)
- In calf pens/hutches and bedding pack:
i) Initial application (on floor) – 3.5 to 7 grams per m2 (or 12.0 to 22.0 oz. / 1,000 sq. ft.)
ii) Subsequent application (on bedding) 500 grams / 100 LSUs / weekly
** To increase ease of application in dairy operations, penergetic k can be mixed with any absorbant, non-slip material to bulk it up [Example: at a rate of 1:20 [1.0 kg of penergetic k to 20 kg of bulking agent]
The above application schedules are suggestive. For specific details as to the appropriate application rate in your operations contact a Penergetic distributor or dealer.
With Penergetic k use for composting and/or in barn use – “more is better” and produces more results.
Municipal and Commercial-scale Composting Operations
For more information on penergetic k the following downloads are available:
Penergetic k Compost and In-barn Effects Pictograph
Penergetic k in Poultry Barns Pictograph
Poultry Manure Compost Comparison
Compost Results – Ma Dairy Farm
Sherbrooke Compost Program – Penergetic
Compost and In-Barn Overview Presentation
Poultry Flyer Manure Management
Protocol for Using Penergetic k in Dairy Barns
OMRI Certificate (compost Extra Fine)
OMRI Certificate (poultry barns)